Tuesday, March 20, 2012

What is PIYO?

Healthy living is a combination of incorporating and balancing healthy eating and a balanced fitness routine.  What I mean by a balanced fitness routine is that you want to have a  routine that incorporates, strength training, cardio and flexibility. If you are like me , finding that balance is a challenge. For some, they can hit the weights, go for a run or get on a elliptical..simple. I like movement and fluidity.

Flexibility training is essential, more so as we get older. I will be 40 soon and I can FEEL the need more than ever to get more serious about that balance! It's tricky for me because traditional exercise bores me. I need something that keeps me moving and is fluid. I find it hard to be still when working out.

Although traditional Yoga and Pilates are beloved by so many, I feel like an odd ball. Traditional Yoga and pilates makes me want to sleep. I could possibly dream about getting more flexible. That's not good! I also learned a long time ago that I have a hard time working out at home. I have been homeschooling for 18 years and I need to get out of the house to have some me time. Did I say get out of the house? Another dilemma is finding something I like that is only for women. Quite a challenge!


d

What I love about PIYO is that it is a fusion athletic workout, which combines the mind/body practices of yoga and Pilates, as well as the principles of stretch, strength training, conditioning and dynamic movement. During a PiYo class, you will find yourself standing in a yoga pose one minute, and down on the floor in a Pilates pose the next!

It is a pre-designed class that will really get your heart rate going as it features various styles of yoga and Pilates in continuous movement and flow from one exercise to another. Sometimes I describe PiYo as a hyper version of yoga, but with the benefits of deep breathing, balance, stretching, strengthening and relaxation. And to top it all off, the music is awesome and helps!
Not to mention that when I start, I will share with all you ladies who may be interested. Another Ladies only treat!
 The main thing is to stay active and find your own balance. Find what you love and keep doing it. Its different for everyone. Turbokick is next but I will tell you more about that in the future. See you in class!!

No comments:

Post a Comment